Sunday, September 9, 2018

Why Not Give Ourselves Up to the Unrestrained Enjoyment of the Present?

My favorite Sherlockian activity is spending time with other Sherlockians.  And my favorite group of Sherlockians is The Parallel Case of St. Louis.  We meet every other month, and I always walk away from those meetings with a little extra bounce in my step when it comes to this hobby. 

Two of our members, Margie and Karl, were members of The Parallel Case and my other scion, The Harpooners of the Sea Unicorn many years ago and are reemerging back into the St. Louis Sherlockian scene.  At the Holmes in the Heartland symposium, I commented on Margie's nice Harpooners pin that she was wearing.  We talked briefly about the group and moved on with the day.  At yesterday's meeting, look what she and Karl brought me:


But I don't love Sherlockians just because we give each other stuff.

We were able to coerce one of my online Sherlockian friends, Heather, to join us at Holmes in the Heartland last month.  I've never talked to her in person before even though she and I live in the same town, so it was great to meet her in person.  She seemed to really enjoy herself at HITH, so I was hopeful to see her at our next regular scion meeting.  And there she was!  In fact, she fit in so well, at one point I'd forgotten that it was her first scion meeting. 

After the meeting, some of us ended up at a bar down the street talking about all kinds of other stuff.  Of course, a lot of it was Sherlockian, but we also hit on whiskeys, bad jokes, Rex Stout, brain cancer, P.G. Wodehouse and more.  I was happy to see two of the folks in our group be introduced to From Holmes to Sherlock by Mattias Bostrom when another member said that he was currently reading it.  Is it just me, or is there a little thrill when readers and books are connected?

Later on that day, I was reminded of my second favorite group of Sherlockians: the online community.  I posted a silly picture of my dog where she looked like she was perusing my book collection.


Which, of course, was turned into a delightful blog post by Brad Keefauver. 

It's so easy to get bogged down by the political turmoil of the day or ongoing stresses at work, that it's always nice to know there's a great community out there just waiting to brighten your day.  Cheers to Sherlockians!

No comments:

Post a Comment