Sunday, April 29, 2018

I Would Call Your Attention Very Particularly to Two Points

Friday night found me in the movie theater, watching Avengers: Infinity War.  I grew up with Marvel comics and the Infinity Gauntlet story happened when I was 11, so this movie had my money as soon as it was announced.  After the movie was over, I could easily say that I loved it, although I had some questions

So, this being a Sherlockian blog, you're probably waiting for me to talk about Downey, Cumberbatch and the amount of screen time their goatees spent together. 


Yeah, that was fun.  But when I woke up the next morning, I didn't find myself wanting to jump right back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  I was ready for Baker Street.  Infinity War was such a massive movie that I wanted to retreat to where the world's biggest villain could be a mathematics professor or a dog with phosphorous on its snout.

So I read this week's entry for The Irregular Canonical Book Club: Abbey Grange.  This isn't one of the stories that most people would put on a Sherlockian Mount Rushmore, but I forgot how great of a story this is!  Getting to see Holmes wrestle with himself and ultimately trusting his gut over his intellect is fantastic.  And when he returns to the scene of the crime, Watson's description of Holmes' investigation is right up there with Boscombe Valley or Sign of Four. 

So, although it may feel like there are 60 super heroes in Infinity War, I prefer to stick with the 60 canonical tales.


And.... point number two:

I WAS INTERVIEWED ON I HEAR OF SHERLOCK EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't start off this week's post with fanboy raving.  But now you're in for it.

Oh man, I can't tell you how awesome it was!  I've posted before about how IHOSE is my favorite podcast, so I was more than a little nervous about this.  But there was no need for me to be.  Hosts Scott Monty and Burt Wolder navigated me through the interview like the true pros that they are. 


We covered my beginnings as a Sherlockian, scion societies in St. Louis, teaching Sherlock Holmes to my fifth graders, the upcoming Holmes in the Heartland conference, The Beacon Society, The Criminal Mastermind of Baker Street, and so much more.  I would go back and listen to it again, but hearing my own voice on a recording is like nails on a chalkboard.  I don't know how my students listen to that all day long!

But don't let my voice deter you.  Check out IHOSE episode 142 and all of the other 141 episodes.  I Hear of Sherlock is easily one of the most important Sherlockian products out there today, and it is perfect for anyone interested in our hobby.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rob - thanks so much for the kind words. We really enjoyed having you on the show and discussing your very creative work.

    ReplyDelete